Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sages

I have found that the authors I admire the most and I think have the vastest knowledge and wisdom are all around 70 yrs old. These are Christopher Alexander, William Irwin Thompson, and Harold Bloom. These all have a deep sense of eternal values and an integral understanding of reality - Bloom in Literature, Alexander in Architecture and Painting, and Thompson in Cultural Studies. They are all integral in their understanding, and Gnostics. They all believe there is a light inside each of us - as I do. There is a genius, a guardian, an angel - a timeless psychic being (Aurobindo's term). The birthday cake is an offering to this genius, as we wish for what we want. This also fits with my supreme affinity to literature and painting - such as the works of Hesse, or the painting of Van Gogh. As Christopher Alexander used 200 yellows and reds to bring out the eternal coloration to bring out illumination - as Van Gogh did. I admire this complete consecration to an art, to a morality of truth - but yet keeping a free spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment